Parity FAQ for Addiction and Mental Health Consumers


Connecticut Parity Resources

Depending on whether you are filing a complaint or appeal, the contact information below should be able to help you if you have any questions.


Consumer Advocates

For general information about filing a parity appeal for mental health or addictions services, you cannot go wrong with contacting one of the consumer advocates below. Each has years of experience helping consumers in the state of Connecticut.

State of Connecticut Insurance Department
(860) 297-3900

State of Connecticut Office of the Healthcare Advocate
(866) 466-4446


Health Plan Contacts

When filing an appeal for the first time, you should contact your health plan’s customer service support line or check out their information online.

If you choose to appeal an adverse benefit determination concerning your mental health or substance use treatment or benefits, please keep in mind that the timeframe to do so varies by state, plan type, and other factors. Contact your state’s department of insurance for additional information.

Here is some contact information for Connecticut Health Plans:


First step is to contact member services at the number found on the back of the medical plan ID.

Additional information on how to file a complaint or grievance can be found here.

Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of CT

Call Member Services at the number listed on the member ID card
Written request to:
Grievances and Appeals
PO Box 1038
North Haven, CT 06473-4201

Mental Health or substance abuse disorder appeal send to:
Grievances and Appeals
PO Box 2100
North Haven, CT 06473

For more detailed information click here


Information and guidance concerning appeals and grievances with Cigna can be found here.

ConnectiCare Inc

For appeals form, click here

Attn: Provider Appeals
175 Scott Swamp Road
Farmington, CT 06032-3124
Fax: (860) 674-7035


Call Customer Services:(855) 458-4928

United Healthcare Life Insurance (Golden Rule)

For information on the Appeals and Grievances Process with Medicare Advantage Plans click here


State Regulators

Insurance Commissioner

Connecticut Insurance Department, Life and Health Division and the Office of the Healthcare Advocate
Insurance Commissioner
PO Box 816
Hartford, Connecticut 06142
Phone: (860) 297-3800

Utilization Management Appeals

Connecticut Insurance Department, Life & Health Division and the Office of the Healthcare Advocate
PO Box 816
Hartford, Connecticut 06142
Phone: (860) 297-3800
Fax: (860) 566-7401 and

External Review Appeals

Consumer Services Division, Department of Insurance
Principal Insurance Examiner
153 Market Street, Floor 7
Hartford, Connecticut 01603
Phone: (860) 297-3819

Parity Appeals

Connecticut Insurance Department, Life and Health Division and the Office of the Healthcare Advocate
Insurance Commissioner
PO Box 816
Hartford, CT 06142
Phone: (860) 297-3800


Additional Connecticut Insurance Administration Contacts, click here.


Federal Regulators

The federal government also can be a helpful resource if you are enrolled in a self-funded plan, Medicare, Medicaid or another type of insurance that is overseen at least in part by a federal agency. For definitions and filing information refer to the Parity Resource Guide

U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s website on the Affordable Care Act health reform law

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

(SAMHSA) Implementation Mental Health Parity Addiction Equity Act

U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits, Security Administration (EBSA) or toll-free hotline: 1.866.444.EBSA (3272)

For the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services & Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services list of exempt state and local plans, please email You may ask them if any particular state and local plan has opted out of MHPAEA.

Information on requirements of employer-based insurance coverage and self-insured health plans. EBSA has benefit advisors who are available to answer questions and provide assistance in obtaining your benefits.

Consumer Guide to Disclosure Rights: Making the Most of Your Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Benefits


Veteran and Military Resources

Veterans and military personnel can use these resources to get help or more information with their medical or behavioral health complaints.

Health Net Federal Services

A grievance is a written complaint or concern about a medical provider.
Click here for specific information regarding who, what and how to file.


View the recently released Tricare Mental Health Fact Sheet.

The appeal process is different based on the benefit issue. Depending on your issue, you can file a:
  • Factual appeal
    • This is if you were denied payment for services or supplies you received, or if payment was stopped for services or supplies previously authorized.
  • Medical necessity appeal
    • This is if prior authorization for care or services was denied because it was not deemed medically necessary. Medically necessary means it must be appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition.
  • Pharmacy appeal
    • This is if you don't agree with a decision made about your pharmacy benefit. For example, Express Scripts denies your pharmacy claim.
  • Medicare-TRICARE appeal
    • This is if you're eligible for both TRICARE and Medicare, and Medicare denies your services or supplies.

If your care is denied, you should receive a letter with details about how to file your appeal.

Veterans Health Administration

Complaints are initially handled through the Patient Advocate.
Patient Advocate can be contacted at your local VA Medical Center.


If you have any additional questions about parity compliance, please contact