New Mexico Parity Resources

Depending on whether you are filing a complaint or appeal, the contact information below should be able to help you if you have any questions.

For general information about filing a parity appeal for mental health or addictions services, you cannot go wrong with contacting one of the consumer advocates below. Each has years of experience helping consumers in the state of New Mexico.

Office of the Attorney General
For information regarding a consumer complaint, click here.

Office of Superintendent of Insurance

When filing an appeal for the first time, you should contact your health plan’s customer service support line or check out their information online. If you choose to appeal an adverse benefit determination concerning your mental health or substance use treatment or benefits, please keep in mind that the timeframe to do so varies by state, plan type, and other factors. Contact your state’s department of insurance for additional information. Here is some contact information for New Mexico Health Plans:
BlueCross BlueShield of New Mexico
For a quick overview: Transparency in Coverage specific information found under “Why was payment for the service I received denied?”

It is suggested you consult your benefits handbook for additional information or call customer service at the number listed on your member ID card.

Grievance and Appeal information and form found here
Send to:
CHRISTUS Health Plan
Attn: Appeal and Grievance Dept.
PO Box 169009
Irving, TX 75016
Fax: 1 (866) 416-2840

Molina Health Care
Call Molina Healthcare Member Services at (800) 580-2811
Molina Healthcare of New Mexico, Inc.
Attn: Appeals Department
P. O. Box 3887
Albuquerque, N.M, 87190-9859

New Mexico Health Connections
Member Services (855) 769-6642
Member Appeal/Complaint Request form click here.

Customer Service Center at (505) 923-5678 or toll free at 1 (800) 356-2219
Appeals, Grievances and Exception Process information click here.
Written appeals send to:
Grievance and Appeals Coordinator
P.O. Box 27489
Albuquerque, NM 87125-7489
Fax: (505) 923-5124

Insurance Commissioner
New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance, Managed Healthcare Ombudsman Bureau
P.O. Box 1689
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1689
Phone: (505) 827-4601
Fax: (505) 827-4743

Utilization Management Appeals
New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance, Managed Healthcare Ombudsman Bureau
P.O. Box 1689
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1689
Phone: (505) 827-3811
Fax: (505) 827-4743

External Review Appeals
New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance, Managed Healthcare Ombudsman Bureau
P.O. Box 1689
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1689
Phone: (505) 827-3811
Fax: (505) 827-4743

Parity Appeals

New Mexico Office of Superintendent of Insurance, Managed Healthcare Ombudsman Bureau
P.O. Box 1689
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1689
Phone: (505) 827-3811
Fax: (505) 827-4743

Additional New Mexico Insurance Administration Contacts, click here.

The federal government also can be a helpful resource if you are enrolled in a self-funded plan, Medicare, Medicaid or another type of insurance that is overseen at least in part by a federal agency.

For definitions and filing information refer to the Parity Resource Guide

U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s website on the Affordable Care Act health reform law

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

(SAMHSA) Implementation Mental Health Parity Addiction Equity Act

U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)

U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits, Security Administration (EBSA) or toll-free hotline: 1.866.444.EBSA (3272)

For the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services & Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services list of exempt state and local plans, please email You may ask them if any particular state and local plan has opted out of MHPAEA.

Information on requirements of employer-based insurance coverage and self-insured health plans.
EBSA has benefit advisors who are available to answer questions and provide assistance in obtaining your benefits.

Consumer Guide to Disclosure Rights: Making the Most of Your Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Benefits

Veterans and military personnel can use these resources to get help or more information with their medical or behavioral health complaints.

Health Net Federal Services

A grievance is a written complaint or concern about a medical provider.
Click here for specific information regarding who, what and how to file.


View the recently released Tricare Mental Health Fact Sheet.

The appeal process is different based on the benefit issue. Depending on your issue, you can file a:

  • Factual appeal
    • This is if you were denied payment for services or supplies you received, or if payment was stopped for services or supplies previously authorized.
  • Medical necessity appeal
    • This is if prior authorization for care or services was denied because it was not deemed medically necessary. Medically necessary means it must be appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition.
  • Pharmacy appeal
    • This is if you don’t agree with a decision made about your pharmacy benefit. For example, Express Scripts denies your pharmacy claim.
  • Medicare-TRICARE appeal
    • This is if you’re eligible for both TRICARE and Medicare, and Medicare denies your services or supplies.

If your care is denied, you should receive a letter with details about how to file your appeal.

Veterans Health Administration

Complaints are initially handled through the Patient Advocate.
Patient Advocate can be contacted at your local VA Medical Center.

If you have any additional questions about parity compliance, please contact

More Parity Information:

Please note: Parity Registry does not automate the appeals process. The information you provide may alert policymakers to possible health plan violations of the law, thereby helping to shape public policy and influence legislation.

You must take follow-up action with your health plan or regulatory agency.